You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You hear someone talking on a radio programme. What is the speaker doing?
A recommending that listeners make a certain drink
B explaining why a drink is becoming more popular
C telling listeners about a drink they may not know about
2. You hear someone talking about people who travel a lot when they’re young. What is his attitude towards these people?
A He is envious of them for having the opportunity.
B He feels that they are simply wasting their time.
C He can’t understand why they do it.
3. You hear an advertisement for a course. What does the speaker say about the course?
A You need to take a lest before being accepted for it.
В It starts with theory and moves on to practical work.
C It focuses on your effect on the people you will instruct.
4. You hear part of a radio interview. Who is being interviewed?
A a film director
В an actor
C a screenwriter
5. You hear part of a radio report about car drivers. What did the survey discover about a lot of drivers?
A They pay no attention to warning lights.
В They don’t know what various symbols in a car relate to.
C They think there are ton many warning lights and symbols in cars.
6. You turn on the radio and hear part of a programme. What type of programme is it?
A a review programme
В a chat show
C a phone-in
7. You hear part of a radio play. Where is the scene taking place?
A in a restaurant
В in a car
C in a house
8. You hear a woman talking about running. What aspect of running is she talking about?
A her involvement in running over a period of time
В why she finds running so enjoyable
C the importance of running and training with others
You will hear an announcement about a competition. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences.
The Ideas Competition
The money given to the winner is not a 9_______ .
The winner might be 10_______ with a plan for improving a water supply.
The winner might have an idea about how to help the 11_______ in the world.
If you enter the competition by phone you must explain your idea in a maximum of 12______.
One of the categories is for people who want to start a business that provides a 13___ or ___ that currently doesn’t exist.
One of the categories is for people who want to take part in a project that is 14_______.
One of the rules is that 15______ for the competition are not allowed.
Before you phone, it may be a good idea to prepare a 16_______.
To win, you must show that you have a lot of 17_______ for your idea.
Judges will listen to the ideas presented by 18_______ people.