New, online version of this test :: Answer Keys :: Tapescript
You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You hear a person talking about a recently constructed road. What do they think about the road?
A They believe it will make shopping trips longer.
В They approve of it.
С They are concerned about the environmental impact.
2. You hear someone talking about their education. What did they study?
В Fine arts
3. You hear a man talking to another person. Who is he talking to?
A a client
В a student
С a janitor
4. You hear a woman and her neighbour talking. What does the woman want her neighbour to do?
A look after a pet
В feed her child
С water her plants
5. You hear a woman planning to go to a beauty parlour. What is she doing there?
A getting her hair done
В having her nails done
С getting a massage
6. You hear a conversation between two colleagues. Why is the woman upset?
A Something went missing.
В Something got wet.
С Something is broken.
7. You hear a technician talking about a broken computer. When will it be repaired?
8. You hear a woman talking about her commute to work. How does she feel about it?
A It makes her relaxed.
В It stresses her.
С It is very long.
You will hear a radio programme about a famous dessert dish. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences with a word or short phrase.
Pavlova is a dessert that takes its name after 9_______ Anna Pavlova.
It is believed that the dessert had been created to celebrate Pavlova’s tour of Australia and 10 _______ in the 1920s.
One of the common festive meals the dessert is served at is 11_______.
Professor Helen Leach, a culinary anthropologist at the University of Otago in New Zealand, has researched the dessert and compiled a series of cookbooks containing 12 _______ Pavlova recipes.
Some sources point at Bert Sachse as the original creator of the dish at the Esplanade Hotel in 13 _______ in 1935.
Matthew Evans from The Sydney Morning Herald said that 14 _______ about the pavlova’s origins is not likely to be found.
The process of making Pavlova involves 15 _______ into a thick mass, with other ingredients such as sugar and vinegar added later.
16 _______ is where raspberry topping seems to be the most popular one.
Ready-to-be-made pavlovas can be bought, that require little effort to make and only need both 17 _______ added to them.
New Zealand’s national museum, Te Papa, made 18 _______ in February 1999 memorable by creating the largest pavlova in existence, called ‘Pavzilla’.