You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You overhear some people talking at a party in a hotel. Where did the people first meet each other?
A. at school
B. at work
C. at a wedding
2. You overhear a conversation in a restaurant. Why haven’t they seen each other lately?
A. He has been too busy.
B. He has been ill.
C. He has been away.
3. You overhear someone talking about a concert. How did she feel at the time?
4. You hear a writer of children’s stories talking about books and compact discs. What advantage does he think books have over compact discs?
A. They may last for a longer time.
B. They are easier to look after.
C. They contain better quality material.
5. You hear a husband and wife talking about their summer holidays. What problem do they have?
A. They really hate flying anywhere.
B. They can never think of anywhere to go.
C. They never agree about what to do.
6. You hear a researcher being asked about her work. What is she doing when she speaks?
A. denying an accusation
B. disproving a theory
C. accepting a criticism
7. You overhear a woman talking to a friend on a train. What does the woman think of the course she has attended?
A. It has made her feel more confident.
B. It has made her feel less confident.
C. It hasn’t made much difference to how she feels.
8. You overhear a woman speaking on the radio. What is she doing?
A. complaining about something
B. apologising for something
C. explaining something
You will hear a radio report about dolphins. For questions 9-18, complete the notes below which summarise what the speaker says.
Dolphins have been known to protect swimmers from sharks by getting into a 9 ______
Dolphins and humans have 10 ______ of the same size.
Swimming with dolphins can help common problems like 11 ______
Some people think dolphins are able to recognise human 12 ______
Dolphins have been used to teach children to 13 ______
Swimming with dolphins is used as a 14 ______ in projects with children
In one jaw, dolphins have as many as 15 ______
Dolphins can maintain a fast pace in the water for 16 ______ without stopping.
Dolphins make use of 17 ______ to find fish.
Dolphins can be caught in 18 ______ or damaged by pollution