You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You are in a supermarket when you hear this announcement about a lost child. He last saw his mother
A. in the butcher’s area.
B. in the pet food area.
C. in the fruit and vegetable area.
2. You are in an electrical shop when you overhear this woman speaking to the shop assistant. She is complaining because
A. she was charged the wrong amount.
B. the same item is cheaper elsewhere.
C. the item was damaged.
3. You overhear a woman talking on the telephone. Next Thursday the woman is going to
A. travel by coach.
B. travel by plane.
C. travel by train.
4. Listen to a policeman talking to a householder. He wants to
A. speak to another member of the household.
B. speak to the householder.
C. speak to a neighbour
5. You are listening to the host of a radio phone-in programme speaking. Mary, the first caller, is
A. a married woman with a child.
B. a single woman with a child.
C. a regular listener.
6. You have joined a four-day sailing course in Britain. Listen to your instructor giving some important information. He is talking about
A. drinking water.
B. salt water.
C. running out of water.
7. You overhear two people talking at a bus stop. The two speakers
A. are both familiar with the war memorial.
B. are taking different buses.
C. are going to the same place.
8. You overhear a man chatting on the telephone about a form he has to fill in. The man is speaking to
A. his wife.
B. his mother.
C. his daughter.
You will hear part of a radio talk for young people about animals communicating with each other. For questions 9-18, complete the notes below which summarise what the speaker says.
Bees do a 9 ______ to communicate where to find food.
Although parrots seem to speak, they are only 10 ______ the human sounds.
Primates can communicate a few 11 ______ using simple sounds.
Monkeys have not been observed to use any kind of 12 ______.
Although dolphins can make vowel sounds, they cannot accurately imitate our 13 ______.
Amazingly, dolphins demonstrate 14 ______ of when phrases should be used.
The sounds made by whales contain 15 ______ than human speech.
The songs of the bottle-nosed whale have many of the 16 ______ of human speech.
The unique grammatical nature of human language arose due to life in 17 ______.
Indeed, a young child needs enough 18 ______ with other people to develop speech.