New, online version of this test :: Answer Keys :: Tapescript
You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You overhear a woman talking to her husband on a mobile phone. What is the background to the conversation?
A The family’s holiday may have to be cancelled.
B The woman wants to buy their son a computer.
C Their son has schoolwork to complete before the start of term.
2. You hear a phone-in programme on the radio. Why has the man phoned?
A to complain about the traffic scheme
B to express his support for the traffic scheme
C to question the aims of the traffic scheme
3. On the radio, you hear a woman talking about her house. What has she recently done?
A decided to move to another area
B solved a problem that she had
C made improvements to her house
4. You overhear two people discussing a friend. What language does their friend usually speak at home?
5. You hear a man talking about an activity holiday he went on as a child with his family. How did he feel during the holiday?
A bored by the climbing
B upset with his father
C disappointed with the rowing boat
6. You hear the beginning of a radio programme. What is the programme going to be about?
A child development
B the environment
C a form of entertainment
7. You hear a man being interviewed about a new project he has set up. What is the purpose of the project?
A to help people find accommodation in Scotland
B to tell people where to stay in Australia
C to advise people how to set up a flat agency
8. You switch on the radio in the middle of a programme. What kind of programme is it?
A an arts review
B an interview
C a quiz show
You’ll hear about an evening programme. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences with a word or short phrase.
7.30 pm ‘Art Review’: Student Art Exhibition
This evening’s programme is taking place at the 9_______ in London.
The exhibition is of work by students in the 10_______ year of their art course.
At the exhibition, you can see things as different as curtains and 11_______
Some of the works of art have been made using 12_______ technology.
8.00 pm Play: ‘The Vanishing Lady’
In the play, a young couple on a train think they hear the sound of someone using a 13_______
A 14_______ tells the couple about an old lady whom he has seen.
After writing this play, the author, Porten, became a writer for 15_______
9.30 pm ‘Business Scenes’: Interview with Peter Field
Peter used to work for a 16_______
Peter says the material he uses for his boats is a particular kind of 17_______
Peter collects 18_______ as a hobby