You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You hear a hotel manager talking about the staff who work for her. What does she say about them?
A They get to do a range of tasks.
В They often suggest new ideas.
C They sometimes arrive late.
2. You overhear a student talking on the phone. What does he say about life at college?
A He’s made a lot of new friends.
В His teachers are pleased with his progress.
C He finds his accommodation is very convenient.
3. You hear a caller on a radio phone-in programme. Why has she phoned?
A to disagree with a previous caller
В to warn other listeners about something
C to explain how she feels about something
4. You hear a man talking about a wildlife documentary. What aspect of it disappointed him?
A the animals which were featured
В the quality of the photography
C the style of the commentary
5. You overhear two people talking in a cafe. The man has just come from
A his workplace.
В a shopping centre.
C the house of a friend.
6. You hear a man talking about how he designs light shows for music concerts. He usually gets his ideas by
A watching films of previous shows with similar music.
В listening to the music for the show several times.
C asking the performers to describe the audience.
7. You hear two friends talking about a new ‘free bike-hire’ scheme. What do they agree about?
A the effect it might have on levels of bike crime
В who should be responsible for paying for it
C how much it would improve their city
8. You hear a woman talking about her favourite movie. Why does she like it?
A It’s very romantic.
В It’s very funny.
C It’s very exciting.
You will hear a museum director called Carl Halford talking about the museum where he works. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences.
Carl says that the museum was last renovated in the year 9 _______.
Carl says that improvements in the 10 _______ in museums often goes unnoticed.
There are now a total of 11 _______ exhibits which visitors can see in the museum.
The exhibits are now arranged according to their 12 _______ .
One of Carl’s favourite pieces is a 4,500-year-old cup with a design of a 13 _______ on the bottom.
Carl describes a strange farm model in the museum that features 14 _______ and a farmer.
Some visitors to the museum are frightened by the 15 _______ of one large statue.
Carl also describes a vase which shows a man fighting with a 16 _______ .
Carl finds it surprising that one of the coins in the museum has such 17 _______ decoration.
One simple exhibit that Carl likes is a plain stone with a picture of a 18_______ on it.