CAE Listening Part 3
You will hear an interview in which a historian called Mark Connor and a writer called Judith Monroe are talking about the history of the underground railway in London. For questions 15-20, choose the answer (А, В, C or D) which fits best according to what you hear.
15. Mark says that the problems which led to the creation of the railway
A resulted from poor urban planning.
B were similar to those we have today.
C typified the thinking of their age.
D only had one possible solution.
16. Judith believes that the engineering methods used to make the first tunnel
A worked surprisingly quickly.
B were too basic to be efficient.
C caused a minimum amount of disruption.
D resulted in the loss of too many homes.
17. How does Mark feel about the public reaction when the first underground line opened?
A disappointed by their reluctance to go underground
B struck by their willingness to tolerate lengthy journeys
C amused by their unfounded fears
D impressed by their general enthusiasm
18. Judith and Mark both say that, during the early years of its construction, the railway
A created many jobs for people.
B had a big influence on urban development.
C inspired imitators all over the world.
D made national heroes of its developers.
19. Judith compares certain underground stations to a classic film in that
A they are designed in the style of a particular era.
B they give a feeling of being in a cinema.
C they are a product of the same creative vision.
D they give a similar sense of size and excitement.
20. What does Mark think about the railway map?
A It has come to represent the city.
B It can confuse people unfamiliar with its format.
C It encourages people to use the underground.
D It is well designed for something so inexpensive.