New, online version of this test :: Answer Keys :: Tapescript
You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You hear a message on a telephone answering machine. Why is the speaker calling?
A to confirm some arrangements
B to issue an invitation
C to persuade someone to do something
2. You hear two people talking about a water-sports centre. The man says the centre should
A pay more attention to safety.
B offer activities for small children.
C provide all the equipment needed.
3. You hear a professional tennis player talking about her career. What annoys her most about interviewers?
A their belief that she leads a glamorous life
B their assumption that she’s motivated by money
C their tendency to disturb her while she’s travelling
4. You hear a poet talking about his work. What is he doing?
A giving his reasons for starting to visit schools
B justifying the childlike nature of some of his recent poems
C explaining that his poems appeal to people of different ages
5. You hear two people talking about a programme they saw on TV. The woman thinks the programme was
6. You hear two people talking about an ice-hockey game they’ve just seen. How does the girl feel about it?
A pleased to have had the experience
B relieved that she’d dressed appropriately
C impressed by the performance of the team
7. You overhear two friends talking about a restaurant. What do they both like about it?
A the presentation of the food
B the atmosphere of the place
C the originality of the cooking
8. You hear a man talking on the radio. What type of information is he giving?
A a travel announcement
B a weather forecast
C an accident report
You will hear a woman called Angela Thomas, who works for a wildlife organisation, talking about the spectacled bear. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences.
Angela says that it was the 9 _______ of the spectacled bear that first interested her.
Angela mentions that the bear’s markings can be found on its 10 _______ as well as its eyes and cheeks.
Angela is pleased by evidence that spectacled bears have been seen in 11 _______ areas of Argentina.
Angela says the bears usually live in 12 _______ , though they can also be found in other places.
Spectacled bears behave differently from other types of bear during 13 _______ , which Angela finds surprising.
Angela is upset that 14 _______are the biggest danger to spectacled bears.
Angela says that spectacled bears usually eat 15 _______ and tree bark.
Bears climb trees and make a 16 _______ , which fascinated Angela.
When bears eat meat, they much prefer 17 _______ although they do eat other creatures.
One man has produced an amusing 18 _______ about the time he spent studying the bears.