You will hear a radio interview in which two young journalists – called Angus Brown and Yolanda Zouche – are talking about their work. For questions 15-20, choose the answer (А, В, C or D) which fits best according to what you hear.
15. In Yolanda’s opinion, what is the most challenging aspect of her job?
A finding suitable images to accompany articles
B trying to locate interviewees
C expressing herself coherently within a tight word limit
D working to demanding time constraints
16. What is it about their work that Angus and Yolanda both enjoy?
A the variety of the projects they get involved in
B the challenge of reporting news effectively
C the opportunity to meet interesting people
D the appeal of searching out information
17. In Angus’s opinion, the advantage of online newspapers over print versions is that they
A are able to cover a greater range of topics.
B can keep up with events as they develop.
C allow interaction by readers.
D reach a far wider public.
18. What made getting a job in journalism so hard for Angus?
A the extent of competition for posts
B a low level of encouragement from others
C a lack of previous professional experience
D the difficulty of establishing useful contacts
19. Yolanda believes that the essential requirement for a journalist entering the profession is
A an ability to write persuasively.
B a clear and logical mind.
C a resourceful and confident character.
D a mastery of interviewing techniques.
20. Angus’s recommendation for aspiring journalists is to
A cultivate an interest in a specific field.
B seize every opportunity to express themselves in writing.
C concentrate on developing a distinct style.
D become a keen observer of life around them.
You will hear five short extracts in which people are talking about strategies they’ve adopted for handling work-related problems.
For questions 26-30, choose from the list A-H how each speaker felt after implementing the strategy.
|A. to strengthen a relationship |
B. to reassure an employer
C. to help deal with extensive responsibilities
D. to meet the demands of colleagues
E. to cope with unpredictability
F. to avoid unfair criticism
G. to fulfil public expectations
H. to get some personal space
Speaker 1 21 [ ]
Speaker 2 22 [ ]
Speaker 3 23 [ ]
Speaker 4 24 [ ]
Speaker 5 25 [ ]
|A. angry at the incompetence of colleagues |
B. delighted by an unexpected benefit
C. upset by an unsympathetic response
D. amused by a coincidence
E. optimistic at the prospect of future success
F. disappointed because of a misunderstanding
G. puzzled by people’s reactions
H. envious of the ability of others
Speaker 1 26[ ]
Speaker 2 27[ ]
Speaker 3 28[ ]
Speaker 4 29[ ]
Speaker 5 30[ ]
1. A | 2. C | 3. B | 4. A | 5. C | 6. A
7. popular 8. insect 9. green gold 10. (the) storms
11. nets/netting 12. (small) holes 13. boiled 14. blankets
15. D | 16. A | 17. B | 18. A | 19. C | 20. D
21. H | 22. A | 23. F | 24. E | 25. C
26. D | 27. B | 28. G | 29. A | 30. H