You will hear part of an interview with the astronaut Charles Duke, who is talking about his trip to the moon. For questions 15-20, choose the answer (А, В, C or D) which fits best according to what you hear.
15. How did Charles feel about space travel as a boy?
A He thought it was unlikely to happen.
В He regarded it as more than science fiction.
C He was fascinated by the idea of it.
D He showed no particular interest in it.
16. What did Charles consider to be the hardest part of the training?
A feeling trapped in the heavy spacesuit
В endlessly practising the lunar surface landing
C constantly being afraid of making a mistake
D being unable to move his arms and hands
17. What was Charles’s reaction when he first found out he was going to the moon?
A He realised he had to be cautious.
В He felt proud to be given the opportunity.
C He tried to control his excitement.
D He reflected on his chances of survival.
18. How did the crew feel when they had landed on the moon?
A They felt as if they were coming home.
В They realised they had achieved something special.
C They were afraid of what they might find on the surface.
D They were worried about how they would take off again.
19. What feature of the moon made the greatest impact on Charles?
A the brightness of the
В the vastness of the sky
C the loneliness of the place
D the absence of any stars
20. What does Charles feel was the most memorable part of his mission?
A nearly falling into a crater
В walking on the moon’s surface
C seeing things never seen before
D holding a piece of the moon
You will hear five short extracts in which people are talking about an occasion when they came into contact with a well-known celebrity.
For questions 26-30, choose from the list A-H the opinion each speaker gives about the celebrity.
|A. I failed to recognise the person.|
B. I realised I had forgotten something.
C. I insisted on something.
D. I was upset by personal criticism.
E. I had been given incorrect information.
F. I was pleasantly surprised.
G. I refused a request.
H. I was amused by something.
Speaker 1 21 [ ]
Speaker 2 22 [ ]
Speaker 3 23 [ ]
Speaker 4 24 [ ]
Speaker 5 25 [ ]
|A. He/She became more agitated than necessary.|
B. He/She enjoyed causing trouble.
C. He/She appeared totally at ease.
D. He/She expected too much privacy.
E. He/She seemed insincere.
F. He/She wasn’t able to cope with fame.
G. He/She talked down to me.
H. He/She eventually accepted the regulations.
|Speaker 1 26[ ]|
Speaker 2 27[ ]
Speaker 3 28[ ]
Speaker 4 29[ ]
Speaker 5 30[ ]
1. B 2. A 3. C 4. C 5. C 6. B
7. waterfall 8. road 9. hot, wet (in either order) 10. path
11. meat, vegetables (in either order) 12. energy 13. worried 14. 30 dollars/thirty dollars/$30
15. D 16. B 17. A 18. B 19. C 20. D