Complete the notes below.
Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer
THE EXTINCTION OF DODO BIRD
The dodo was a large flightless bird which used to inhabit the island of Mauritius.
• 1507 – Portuguese ships transporting 31 stopped at the island to collect food and water.
• 1638 – The Dutch established a 32 on the island.
• They killed the dodo birds for their meat.
• The last one was killed in 1681.
• The only record we have is written descriptions and pictures (possibly unreliable).
• A Dutch painting suggests the dodo was very 33
• The only remaining soft tissue is a dried 34
• Recent studies of a dodo skeleton suggest the birds were capable of rapid 35
• It’s thought they were able to use their small wings to maintain 36
• Their 37 was of average size.
• Their sense of 38 enabled them to find food.
Reasons for extinction
• Hunting was probably not the main cause.
• Sailors brought dogs and monkeys.
• 39 also escaped onto the island and ate the birds’ eggs.
• The arrival of farming meant the 40 was destroyed.