You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You hear a film review on the radio. What criticism does the reviewer make?
A the acting is poor
В the music is unsuitable
C the story is difficult to follow
2. You hear two students talking about a holiday abroad. What do they agree about?
A Foreign travel is harmful to the environment.
В It is becoming more expensive to travel abroad.
C Holidays are more enjoyable if you go abroad.
3. You hear a woman talking on the radio about a place called Dolphin Bay. Where did she first hear about Dolphin Bay?
A on the Internet
В on the radio
C on television
4. You overhear a woman talking outside the post office. Why had she gone to the post office?
A to collect a parcel
В to buy stamps
C to send a parcel
5. You hear part of a discussion on local radio. What is the programme about?
A building new housing
В protecting wildlife
C improving road safety
6. You hear a man talking about motorcycling. What does he regret?
A riding his motorcycle too fast
В doing a particular journey by motorcycle
C buying a motorcycle
7. You overhear a student talking about her new college. How does she feel about the college?
A She is finding some of the lessons difficult.
В Some of her new classmates are unfriendly.
C It is too far away from her home.
8. You overhear a driving instructor talking to a learner after the lesson has ended. What mistake did the learner make?
A He ignored a road sign.
В He was driving too fast.
C He failed to look in the mirror.
You will hear a student called Fiona Doyle talking about living in the countryside after growing up in a city. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences with a word or short phrase.
Moving to the countryside
Fiona says the lack of 9______ in the countryside created a contrast at night.
Some rooms in the house can be rather 10______ in winter.
At first, the 11______ made it difficult for Fiona to sleep in the house.
Fiona finds she tends to 12______ later in the day than when she was in the city.
In the countryside, Fiona sees 13______ from her bedroom window.
Fiona sometimes finds the slowness of the 14______ where she lives rather irritating.
Out in the countryside, Fiona sometimes can’t get 15______ from friends.
The nearest 16______ is almost two kilometres away from where Fiona lives.
Fiona says you need to have a 17______ in the country, but not in the city.
Fiona won’t have to travel as far to the 18______ as she would from her old home.