You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You overhear a man talking about an experience he had at an airport. What did he lose?
A. his passport
B. his wallet
C. a piece of luggage
2. You hear an advertisement on the radio. What is special about the Fretlight guitar?
A. It plays recorded music.
B. It teaches you how to play.
C. It plugs into a computer.
3. You hear part of a radio programme. What is the presenter talking about?
A. food safety
B. meal times
C. healthy recipes
4. You hear two people discussing a type of pollution. What do the speakers agree about?
A. the best way to solve the problem
B. how they feel about this type of pollution
C. how they reacted to the solution they saw
5. You hear a conversation between a shop assistant and a customer about a compact disc. What was the cause of the problem?
A. The customer gave the wrong number.
B. A mistake was made on the order form.
C. The disc was incorrectly labelled.
6. You overhear a conversation at a football game. What does the speaker say about his team?
A. They’re better than usual.
B. They’re as good as he expected.
C. They tend to be unlucky.
7. You overhear a schoolgirl talking to her friend. What does she think about her new teacher?
A. He is clever.
B. He is funny.
C. He is interesting.
8. In a hotel you overhear a conversation. Who is the woman?
A. a tour guide
B. a tourist
C. a hotel receptionist
You will hear part of a radio interview with a swimming instructor. For questions 9-18, complete the notes below which summarise what the speaker says.
Paul works at a hotel in the 9 ______.
He started his job in 10 ______.
He particularly likes meeting 11 ______ there.
Paul isn’t interested in teaching 12 ______.
According to Paul, 13 ______ of all adults can’t swim.
Paul’s students are afraid of going 14 ______.
His students have to put their faces into a salad bowl and 15 ______ below the surface.
The first thing they do in the pool is to 16 ______ in the water with their faces down.
Paul thinks it’s essential to be 17 ______ in the water.
Most people learn to swim after about 18 ______.