You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You hear part of a conversation in a watch repair shop. What is the man doing?
A refusing to accept the watch for repair
В encouraging the customer to buy a watch
C advising the customer to have the watch mended elsewhere
2. You are on a train and you hear a woman leaving a message on an answering machine. Why is she calling?
A to arrange a lift from the station
В to change the time of her evening meal
C to find out bus times from the station
3. You hear a talent show judge commenting on a performance she has just seen. What does she think of the man’s performance?
A He lacks confidence.
В He chose the wrong song.
C He has a weak singing voice.
4. You hear the beginning of a talk in a community centre. What will the talk be about?
A local history
В transport problems
C modern agriculture
5. You hear a man talking about saving money. He wants to buy
A a motorcycle.
В a bicycle.
C a car.
6. You hear a woman talking about a concert being cancelled. What does she think about this?
A She is glad it will not take place.
В It should be re-arranged for a later date.
C She should have been told sooner.
7. You hear a man and woman talking about a flat they are considering renting. What do they both like about it?
A the size
В the low rent
C the furniture
8. You hear a woman talking about her tablet computer. How does she feel about it?
A She finds something about it annoying.
В She wants to get a more powerful model.
C She spends too much time using it.
You will hear a man called Markus Fischer talking about mooncake, a traditional Asian bakery product. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences with a word or short phrase.
Markus was staying in 9_______ when he first tried mooncake.
Markus’s favourite kind of mooncake has a filling made of 10_______.
Markus says that he likes to have 11_______ with mooncake.
Mooncake is popular during the Moon Festival, which last year was held in 12_______.
The mooncake Marcus was given during the festival had the shape of a 13_______ on the top.
Markus was surprised to learn that mooncake is rarely made 14 _______ in China.
The people Markus was staying with received mooncake from their 15_______.
His host family gave Markus a mooncake that had a slightly 16_______ flavour.
Markus was told that, many years ago, people used mooncakes to send 17_______to each other.
After people had read what was written on the mooncake, they 18_______ it.