You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You hear some information about a country on a travel programme. Where do most people spend the summer months?
A at the seaside
B in the capital city
C in the mountains
2. You hear part of a radio programme about chewing gum. What is the speaker doing?
A outlining its history
B describing why it has changed
C explaining its popularity
3. You hear part of a radio programme where listeners phone in with their opinions. What does the man want to do?
A express his disappointment
B complain about his situation
C encourage other listeners
4. You hear a woman speaking on the radio about buying a painting for the first time. What opinion is she expressing?
A A painting can be a worthwhile investment.
B Only buy a painting if you have room for it.
C Take your time when buying your first painting.
5. You hear a man being interviewed on the radio. What does he say about his mother?
A She helped him become an artist.
B She persuaded him to do research.
C She wanted him to make money.
6. You hear part of an interview with a woman who is talking about her day. What is her profession?
A a teacher
B a doctor
C a farmer
7. You hear a man talking on the radio about teaching beginners to surf in the sea. What does the man say about beginners?
A They are very sensitive to criticism.
B They need to be given appropriate goals.
C They often start off with the wrong attitude.
8. You hear part of an interview with a crime novelist. What point is he making about his novels?
A They are based on real-life crimes.
B They include accurate descriptions of life in the past.
C They vary in length depending on the historical period.
You’ll hear a talk about a model maker. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences with a word or short phrase.
The Model Maker
Before becoming a model maker, Peter did a course in 9_______ at a college.
Peter compares his job to the type of work done by a 10_______.
In Peter’s hardest job, he was given some 11_______ of the building to work from.
Peter’s most enjoyable job was making a model of a 12_______ for an exhibition.
Most of Peter’s work is exported to and 13___ and ____.
Peter says his models look best when they have 14_______ directed onto them.
Peter’s model of Marney House measures 15_______ in height.
The Marney House model took a long time to make because it had so many 16_______ and roof tiles.
The roof tiles on the model of Marney House are made of 17_______.
Peter uses watercolour paint to reproduce the effects of the weather and 18_______.