You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You need to see a doctor urgently. You telephone a surgery and hear this answer-phone message. What are you advised to do?
A. go to 217 Jordan Street
B. contact another doctor
C. telephone 622919
2. You hear part of a news broadcast on TV about an accident at a chemical factory. The speaker is speaking
A. in the chemical factory.
B. outside the chemical factory.
C. in the nearby town.
3. You are staying in Britain with a host family. You hear the father speaking to one of his children. The day of the week they are speaking on is
4. You overhear a man at a call box telephoning an emergency break-down service to ask for a mechanic to fix his car. Where is the car?
A. near the Green Lion pub
B. opposite the Green Lion pub
C. opposite the high street
5. Listen to a man outside a supermarket talking to a housewife. What does the man want to do?
A. sell her some washing powder
B. ask her about her family’s washing habits
C. visit her home
6. You are with a group of friends. One of them is telling you about something that happened to her at work. She works
A. as a secretary.
B. as a railway employee.
C. for the police.
7. Listen to this man being interviewed on the radio. The man is
A. a singer.
B. a film star.
C. an actor.
8. You are on a bus tour of a British historical city. You are currently looking at Saint Christopher’s Memorial Hospital. The speaker’s opinion of that building is that
A. she is not clear on its appearance.
B. the gardens are exceptionally beautiful.
C. the architecture is a masterpiece.
You are going to hear somebody giving their opinion about the media and its influence on society. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences.
Society and the Media
The three forms of media are TV, radio and 9 ______.
Politicians use the media during political 10 ______.
Entertainers use it to stay in the 11 ______.
The percentage of people who did not have a particular point of view about the privacy of
celebrities was 12 ______.
The most influential form of media is 13 ______.
We can be deceived by TV when we are shown carefully selected 14 ______.
Some TV stations turn true events into 15 ______.
A newspaper had to pay 16 ______ for printing lies about a pop singer.
Sometimes a paper can avoid being sued if it makes a public 17 ______.
There are two kinds of newspaper; the “quality” papers and the 18 ______.