You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You are in a shop when you overhear this man answering the telephone. What does the caller want to buy?
A. a book about playing a guitar
B. a book about guitar music
C. a cassette of guitar music
2. You are listening to the radio when you hear this man speaking. What is he talking about?
3. You are sitting in a cafe when you hear this woman speaking. She is telling her friend about
A. the weather.
B. buying a new coat.
C. new windows.
4. Listen to this woman introducing a college lecture. The visiting lecturer
A. has recently changed career.
B. has made a new discovery.
C. was late for the lecture.
5. You will hear someone talking about soap operas. What does the speaker think about them?
A. They are boring and meaningless to everyone.
B. The plot Is very exciting and unpredictable
C. People become addicted to them without realising it.
6. You are staying in the home of a British family. You hear the mother answering the phone. The caller wants to take her daughter
A. to the cinema.
B. to a party.
C. to a restaurant.
7. Listen to a policeman being interviewed on the evening television news. What is he describing?
A. a car crash
B. a bomb explosion
C. a serious fire
8. You overhear this exchange in a major London railway station. The cause of the delay is
C. an accident.
You will hear part of a radio talk about an Institution that helps addicts. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences.
There is one centre in the UK situated outside 9 ______.
The Thorndale method has had success with people addicted to 10 ______ and 11 ______.
Addicts take part in a 12 ______ of treatment.
In a one-hour treatment session, smokers cannot stop smoking even when they 13 ______.
Smokers must keep smoking until they become 14 ______.
Many patients find the course too difficult to finish and 15 ______.
Those who manage to finish the course are 16 ______ to want to smoke again.
Alcoholics are allowed to become drunk under the watchful eyes of 17 ______.
When they are later shown a video, most alcoholics feel 18 ______.