You will hear people talking in eight different situations. For questions 1-8, choose the best answer (A, В or C).
1. You hear two friends talking about a book. What does the boy like about it?
A It’s short.
В It’s educational.
C It’s amusing.
2. You hear a man talking about family holidays as a teenager. What part did he find most enjoyable about them?
A the journey
В being outdoors
C watching films
3. You hear two friends talking about a hotel they stayed in. What do they agree about it?
A The location was convenient.
В The staff were friendly.
C The room was comfortable.
4. You hear a woman talking about a new film. How did she feel after seeing it?
5. You hear a woman telling a friend about her job in a supermarket. What was she doing there this morning?
A working on the checkout
В filling the shelves
C serving at the fish counter
6. You hear a man talking about a band he saw at a concert. What is he critical of?
A the image of the band
В the quality of the music
C the length of the show
7. You hear a sports instructor giving advice. What is he doing?
A giving feedback on a technique they’ve tried
В describing a technique they might find useful
C explaining why a technique might be inappropriate
8. You hear a woman talking about being at university. What surprised her about it?
A how quickly time passed
В how much money she spent
C how many friends she made
You will hear a woman called Grace Connolly talking about her travel experiences in New Zealand. For questions 9-18, complete the sentences.
New Zealand journey
Grace travelled around South Island on something called 9 ______.
The first part of Grace’s journey took her along the 10 ______ coast of the island.
When Grace took a day trip to a place called Kaikoura, she particularly wanted to see 11 ______.
Grace has kept in touch with a friend from 12 ______ since she returned home.
Grace took her own 13 ______ to New Zealand, so didn’t need to hire one.
The best part of the trip for Grace was jet-boating on the Buller River with a company called 14 ______.
Grace had to visit a hospital because she injured her 15 ______.
At a market, Grace bought a 16 ______ to take home.
The name of the hostel that Grace particularly recommends is the 17 ______.
Grace plans to go 18 ______ with friends when she next visits North Island.