Questions 21 and 22
Choose TWO letters, A-E.
Which TWO parts of the introductory stage to their art projects do Jess and Tom agree were useful?
A the Bird Park visit
B the workshop sessions
C the Natural History Museum visit
D the projects done in previous years
E the handouts with research sources
Questions 23 and 24
Choose TWO letters, A-E.
In which TWO ways do both Jess and Tom decide to change their proposals?
A by giving a rationale for their action plans
B by being less specific about the outcome
C by adding a video diary presentation
D by providing a timeline and a mind map
E by making their notes more evaluative
Which personal meaning do the students decide to give to each of the following pictures?
Choose SIX answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-H, next to Questions 25-30.
A a childhood memory
B hope for the future
C fast movement
D a potential threat
E the power of colour
F the continuity of life
G protection of nature
H a confused attitude to nature
25 Falcon (Landseer)
26 Fish hawk (Audubon)
27 Kingfisher (van Gogh)
28 Portrait of William Wells
29 Vairumati (Gauguin)
30 Portrait of Giovanni de Medici
Complete the notes below.
Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer
Stoicism is still relevant today because of its 31 ______ appeal.
• Stoicism was founded over 2,000 years ago in Greece.
• The Stoics’ ideas are surprisingly well known, despite not being intended
for 32 ______
• Happiness could be achieved by leading a virtuous life.
• Controlling emotions was essential.
• Epictetus said that external events cannot be controlled but the
33 ______ people make in response can be controlled.
• A Stoic is someone who has a different view on experiences which others would
consider as 34 ______
The influence of Stoicism
• George Washington organised a 35 ______ about Cato to motivate his men.
• The French artist Delacroix was a Stoic.
• Adam Smith’s ideas on 36 ______ were influenced by Stoicism.
• Some of today’s political leaders are inspired by the Stoics.
• Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
– the treatment for 37 ______ is based on ideas from Stoicism
– people learn to base their thinking on 38 ______
• In business, people benefit from Stoicism by identifying obstacles as 39 ______
Relevance of Stoicism
• It requires a lot of 40 ______ but Stoicism can help people to lead a good life.
• It teaches people that having a strong character is more important than anything else.
|Listening Section 1|
|Listening Section 2|
|Listening Section 3|
21&22 C, E
23&24 B, E
|Listening Section 4|
40. practice / practise